Thursday 28 May 2009

Crowne Plaza, Marlow


Hidden where nobody would find it, The Crowne Plaza, Marlow is a hidden gem. Set on the banks of Thames and accessed via an industrial park, it's hard to predict your expectations on the drive to it. A typical business traveller hotel, it's tastefully decorated in a modern/contemporary design throughout the hotel which lifted it above competitor hotels in the area. Public areas are clean and modern. The rooms are very comfortable with the picture inset being a realistic reputation of the style of the rooms (the bathrooms let it down a bit, however on balance it's comfortable). There's a good size desk in the room for work, which I think is a good shout. My usual bugbear of the cost of internet access is repeated here, £14.95 for 24 hours I think is excessive, my Vodafone wireless dongle couldn't get a signal here, so you have to put up or shut up. Drinks and food are a little on the high side, typical of a big chain. A pint will set you back just short of a fiver and dinner was around £25 for two courses, although I will say that the food quality was good for a chain. Service overall was also good. Good welcome on reception, enthusiastic waiters in the bar, attentive in the restaurant. They have a nice gym, pool, mini-spa with outside hot tub, which was a nice bonus after a long day. As a regular traveller down this neck of the woods, I normally stay at The Holiday Inn at High Wycombe. If you can get a comparable rate, I would recommend you stay here instead. Official rating 4*, My rating 4P.